Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Random thoughts on this morning:

I thought meeting with the MFA students this morning was pretty interesting.  I found their processes and how they transitioned from one medium or type of work to another to be the most fascinating.  For some reason, I found it almost surprising to hear several of them talk about the process or steps they took in order to end up with a final project.  

I think I was (naively) under the impression that visual art was somehow different from a written manuscript or even a choreographed dance in that it didn't require premeditation, drafts, or revisioning (Likewise, Mozart could sit at a piano as a child and create sonatas on the spot; Seinfeld keeps a notepad on his night stand in order to record jokes that "come to him" in the middle of the night... this is where my delusion is coming from, I think).  I've seen artist's sketches, models, and visual aids, crafted in order to better understand how the final product should be created but I guess I attributed those to the artist's uncontrollable "planner" personality traits...

Not that I thought an idea for a painting or sculpture magically appeared out of thin air but apparently, somewhere along the line, I subscribed to the romantic idea that visual art is this organic, involuntary act that is created while lightening crashes in the background and ladies faint in disbelief.  Good thing I'm taking the class!  




P.S. A fun security envelope pattern Google found for me.


No comments: