Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Fainting Ladies

Intuition in art making definitely exists- not sure about the fainting ladies, though....
Speaking as an artist, I create series of works based on an idea, generally topics unrelated to art. I spend a lot of time researching and thinking about this "idea", but the artwork I create is immediate, intuitive and without pre-planning. I depend on my mistakes or "my little experiments" (as I like to call them) to guide me through the process.

Another consideration to make is that the artists we visited are in an MFA program--a place where they are required to explain process and think and re-think every decision in their studios-- all this eventually leading to their thesis. Intuition can be a tricky topic to articulate during thesis review.

No comments: