Monday, January 5, 2009

Touching Base

Hi everyone! Thought i would pop in and let you all know what I have been up to.

Due to insuficcient funds I won't be able to go up to New York this winter break.

I went to the Hirshhorn and saw their exhibit of the Panza Collection of minimalist and environmental art. I found it interesting that they decided not to include wall text but instead have that information in a pamphlet at the entry of the exhibit.

I also went to the American Indian museum for the first time. I have heard lots of mixed reviews about it but I thought it was a really nice museum that covered a huge amount of information.

In addition, I went to the National Gallery, East Wing to look at their contemporary art collection. Some really great stuff to see there but I don't think any of it would be appropriate for our collection. If you get a chance to go, I highly advise leaving a couple minutes to see the Anselm Kiefer, beautiful piece.

I am also reading two fantastic books on contemporary photography, "Image Makers, Image Takers" and "Photography as Contemporary Art." The former is a collection of interviews with some big names in contemporary photography including Thomas Demand and David LaChapelle, but even more exciting is the handful of interviews in the back of the book with gallerists, curators and photo editors. The other book is a more comprehensive look into a very long list of contemporary photographers and it also discussed some imporatant types of photgraphy such as deadpan and intimate photography.

I hope to hear what you all have been up to soon (especially if you go to the New York Galleries)!

Ophra

No comments: