Thursday, January 22, 2009

Hi!

I am currently in New York and I spent the day in Chelsea checking out the galleries. I visited a lot of the galleries that Jackie mentioned at our meeting about ArtBasel Miami and some others that we've discussed. I am pretty exhausted though so just a warning about our trip in the spring! I'll be in New York until Sunday and I think I will spend another afternoon checking out galleries so let me know if you have any favorites that you would like me to check out.

First, I think we should definitely check out the David Nolan Gallery. I saw Sandra Vasquez de la Horra's drawings that Jackie told us about and I really liked them as well. The pencil drawings are on wax paper so the They are roughly between $2000 and $6000.



Sandra Vasquez de la Horra, Desnudos en la hierba, 2008, wax and pencil on paper


Also in their Project Room was a work in progress-sculpture by Mel Kendrick which was also really great.


Mel Kendrick, Study for a Monument, expanded polystyrene

Also on 29th Street was the Sean Kelly Gallery, which I hadn't come across in my research. It was a group exhibition of Iran do Espirito, Wolfgang Laib and Callum Innes. The space was beautiful and the curator really did an excellent job. It reminded me of how much I appreciate a well designed space and how much it can affect my experience. Ideally, I would like our program to be able to bring some of that to the Stamp, which often for me is not the most aesthetically pleasing environment. I'm becoming more and more interested in the idea of a site specific piece that really changes or creates a certain environment. Here are a few photos of the installation:






I also came across the Stephen Haller Gallery, which was another group exhibition but was intended to showcase a work from a wide variety of their artists. I was most interested in Johannes Girardoni who creates "structured paintings" and Linda Stojak.

Johannes Girardoni, Dripbox -Titanium White, 2007, beeswax, pigment, wood


Linda Stojak, Figure 50, 2008, oil on canvas

That is all for now! More to come tomorrow!

-Alison

No comments: